Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gene Wilder

Wilder was initially hesitant to accept the role of Willy Wonka, but finally accepted the role under one condition:

"When I make my first entrance, I’d like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I’m walking on and it stands straight up, by itself… but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause."

When Stuart asked why, Wilder replied, “because from that time on, no one will know if I’m lying or telling the truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment