Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Stephen King has written a new Dark Tower book, the Wind Through the Keyhole. The AV Club has a good review. I read all of the Dark Tower books, and I agree with Zack Handlen's comments in the review: The series is rambling, but its flashes of brilliance more than outweigh its occasional tedium. And although the later books are a tad flabby, the first three books are fucking tight. I mean, the Drawing of the Three is one of the leanest, meanest stories I've ever read. It starts with a giant lobster attack on the first page, and never lets up.

Anyhow, I'm glad King has returned to the world of the Dark Tower. Whatever the weaknesses of the series, its greatest strength was the richness and depth of the world, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to visit it again. The bad parts of a Dark Tower story are better than the good parts of most fantasy books.
Art by Michael Whelan: the death of Randall Flagg, aka the Walkin' Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment