Thursday, September 1, 2011

the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 1969

I don't know if you're a fan of the League comics by Alan Moore? I loved volumes 1 and 2, and even the Black Dossier, however so far Century has been underwhelming. Century will be comprised of three comics: 1910, 1969, and 2008 [I think?]. So far only 1910 and 1969 have come out. They're great, but also kind of slow, and a lot of the dense visual and literary references sail over my head. Some weird looking character will walk up and say something nonsensical; they're so specific I know Moore must be referencing an obscure fictional character, but I can't guess who. Which is annoying.

If you're dumb like me, you will find Jess Nevins's annotations immensely helpful. Did you know that Lord Voldemort, aka Tom Riddle, makes an appearance? I didn't, because I'm not as smart as Alan Moore. There Alan, everyone thinks you're clever. Now please write a zeppelin chase scene, or Mr. Hyde sodomizing a dude to death or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment